Saturday, January 5, 2008

in the park

There's a lovely park I pass through a few times a day. Each time has different activities going on. The park is divided by hedges of bushes, and has a central walkway. There are numerous hedged sections. In the morning, there's a relatively large man doing yoga. Yesterday, he was doing the bridge as I passed by. There are also the workers who seem to be weeding. They have small scythes but I haven't seen them in action, other than one lady holding hers up to wave at me. The two ladies in saris were about half way across the area today and behind them were piles of grass. as with most workers, they don't seem to be moving quickly, but must pace themselves as most of them seem to work very long days. 12 hours is not uncommon.

Yesterday I noticed some unusual (for me) butterflies and I was trying to get a picture of them on a flowering tree. There was a boy about 10-12 who appeared to be mentally challenged who was following my activities with interest and trying to find more butterflies for me. After I got all that I could, he posed for a picture. As I was exiting the park there were 3 girls on bicycles who seemed eager to have their photos taken, so I took theirs and showed them afterwards.

In different areas of the park around 5:30 there were 5 men who were chanting while reading from some books -- possibly prayers or the vedas, a group of women relaxing, some young children playing with sticks and the bushes on the center pathway, the same weeders that were there in the morning, a group of young boys playing cricket, some couples strolling together -- each in their own section apparently oblivious to the rest of the sections. It is refreshing to see the green. The people are getting friendlier the longer I am here.

No comments: