Monday, January 7, 2008

transportation

There are many modes of transportation in India. I'll try to describe some that I've seen or experienced. Since I've been doing fairly local excursions, I haven't used the country's airplanes or trains, although I've heard stories.

Personal cars
Middle class people often seem to own a car. Women were the principal drivers among the ones I met, but that is probably not representative. Cars are small (Tata & Varun being two brand names I've noticed). My Honda Civic would seem large here. The streets are very crowded and being able to squeeze (almost literally) among vehicles, people, carts, etc. with inches to spare is necessary. One man I met told me that a few years ago his commute to work was 30 minutes, the next year it was 60 minutes, this year it's 90 minutes. He said "Who knows, maybe next year I won't make it." (btw, his advice to me for surviving in India traffic was "Don't look out the window." I noticed 3 Camrys on the streets during multiple jaunts, and they are largely out of place and not very practical. One of Smriti's aunts, a software executive, was driving her daughter's vehicle (small size) and said she has a larger one at home but doesn't use it much because it's too large to be practical.

Taxis
This is a very handy mode for getting around, and quite comfortable. You hire someone (minimum of 4 hours, maximum of 40 km.) for about 400 rupees (~$10) and they'll take you places and wait for you. The first thing they do is try to exchange cell phone numbers so you can call them as soon as you're ready to go to the next destination. Each taxi has a "song" that plays when he's backing up. When I was first in India, I thought I was hearing cell phone ring tones. I've heard a few I recognized: e.g. "It's a Small World After All" "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" When I went to Osmania University, they sent a car for me (Jyotsna said they should do this, otherwise I'd get lost). I had no idea how long I'd be there, so I was surprised when the driver indicated he would wait. When it was time for lunch, the driver took the director, the professor and I to Suprabhat (a restaurant). Afterwards, he wasn't visible, but the others didn't seem surprised. While we were waiting for him to reappear, I watched other traffic patterns like...

Buses
I was warned not to try these, but here's how it works. There are official bus stops where many people wait. However, if anyone wants to get on or off at any other time, you're welcome to do so as long as you can run and jump on, or exit similarly. I saw it happen many times; it is commonplace. With so much traffic, you can't really drive that fast. Often, there are many people hanging off the side entrances. The buses can get really crowded. Raja (who takes the bus the 25 km to work at Hyderabad University) and Jyotsna's mother (much to the family's dismay, but she is an independent thinker) are the only family members who regularly take the bus.

Autorickshaws
These are so common! They can seat 3 people close together on the back seat, and maybe one in the front. I've seen 6+ people in them. Usually these are for short, quick jaunts. They are open-air and run on a 3 cycle motorcycle type engine. They (and everyone else) sound their horns regularly. This lets people know you're coming and there are even signs on the backs of many trucks and autos that say "Please sound horn." Some "beep" more aggressively than others. The autorickshaws may also be loaded (and I do mean loaded with provisions (grains, vegetables, wood, huge sacks, just about anything)-- more than you'd think can be carried. These work by meter (often broken), or by negotiating a price with the driver before you get in.

Motorcycles and Scooters
These are very common and quite practical for getting around in crowded traffic, but you really do have to watch out for them. It's common to see a man driving with a woman in a sari riding sidesaddle behind him. It's also quite common to see a child in front and a child in back of the couple. Some have told me they've seen as many as 6 riding on one of these. Mark's best man, Greg, who flew in from Minnesota to Mark's surprise (and to Greg's surprise, ended up being the best man and very much a part of the ceremonies) commented "This is India's version of the minivan." These are also seen carrying big loads. I've never seen one lose its balance! It's also rare to see anyone with a helmet on.

Bicycles
Bicycles are common for people of all ages. They can be carrying unbelievably huge loads as well.

Carts pulled by oxen
I didn't see these until I was near the edge of the city, but then I've seen several. These also carry huge, huge loads and move slowly through the traffic.

Walking
This is very common. People walk near the sides of the road, or on the road. Some of the beeping is to warn them. I haven't seen any accidents. On only one trip were the roads free enough of traffic for the driver to get up a speed which seemed fast, but was probably equivalent to about 40 miles per hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.