Friday, December 28, 2007

Ayurvedic massage

Yesterday, between the wedding, the lunch served on banana leaves, and the evening reception, there was several hours time, so I booked a 90 minute ayurvedic massage. The therapist was trained in Kerala, a state known for many resorts with this. After a head massage that involved tapping, among other things, she had me lie down on a mat and towel on the ground. After lying down for awhile and feeling the massage, I opened my eyes and realized that she was massaging me with her feet! She held on to a rope from above for balance and was going up and down and pounding in places -- all stokes I couldn't imagine doing so smoothly with feet. She was ambifootrous -- I peeked again and saw that she switched feet. The massage continued on a table using hands, then I spent time in a steam box. Others said there was an I love Lucy episodes about this long ago. The Raj experience and results are much more refined and enjoyable for me, but the price difference is comparative in the quality of results. It was a good experience.

No comments: