Monday, December 24, 2007

how relative noise is

The levels of sound here are varied: different and the same as the U.S. Right now a dj downstairs is playing loud music. Earlier a nearby store had Santa there and you could hear Jingle Bells being played. I thought that the last few mornings were quieter, or perhaps I was getting used to the noise level. It really is quieter because it's holiday for a lot of people so traffic is less. Raja (Smriti's father) told me that when he was in Germany, it was so quiet that he had to turn on some quiet music for the background so he could sleep.

I shopped on my own today at a department store today, then took an autorickshaw home because I wasn't sure what street to take. It was only a few blocks away, but the driver had to do a u turn across 5 lanes of traffic so he charged me way more than normal. I tried bargaining with no success, but what he did for me was worth it, and I got home without accompaniment and that was a big step for me. Besides, 40 rupees is only a little over $1. Today everyone is doing last minute shopping for Christmas and everything else that is needed to finish up.

Time to celebrate Kirtana's 21st birthday.

No comments: