Monday, December 31, 2007

geezers

Since it time for Happy New Year greetings, and there might be someone singing Auld Lang Syne, I think it's time to tell you about old geezers. When I first arrived in India, I was introduced to the geezer in the bathroom. It's a hot water heater, actually quite an efficient way of not having to keep a huge tank of water heated up all the time. You can turn the switch on about an hour before bathing, and then fill up your bucket of water and use the small scooper to rinse yourself. Sometimes the bathrooms also come with shower heads, but the one I have now does not have that. Actually, my geezer isn't working, so I've gotten to experience plumbers in India. Last night, after getting to my new room for Phase III of this trip (my ayurvedic treatments) (Phase I is all the surroundings of the wedding; Phase II were my talks at the colleges) we turned on the geezer to test it out. After a couple of minutes of 'warm up time' it sounded like an explosion, and water was squirting all over the bathroom. A plumber was called, and arrived about 10:30 at night. He couldn't fix it, but he did know how to turn off the water and hook up a hose that would stop it from squirting. He didn't speak English, so the only message I understood was that he couldn't fix it right then. tonight, another plumber arrived. He spoke some English and was accompanied by two younger women in saris with gunnysack type shopping bags. It's the same kind of thing our dinners are carried to the apartment in, and I don't know everyone who works here yet, so I wasn't sure if it was dinner and a plumber, or what. Turns out his tools and spare parts were in the bags. He also didn't have the right part and because of the holiday, said it would be two days before he can get the right part. The women sat on the floor while he worked. Then he wanted to know when I would be in my room in two days because he has to drive 25 kilometers to get here and can't make the trip twice. I just talked to the man who lived in that apartment before me and he said his geezer also blew up. Mine is a new one. In the meantime, don't worry, I have a nice place to take my shower, and the treatments are fantastic! India continues to be a place of contrasts. More next year.

No comments: